Pathaan collects historic amount, sets 18 records
The dry spell for the Hindi film industry has ended. And how!
The year 2023 begins on a terrific bumper note, hopefully the harbinger of a great year, as the 101st film in Mumbai’s 100-crore club (born with Ghajini in December 2008), Yash Raj Films’ Pathaan, continues its record-breaking run at the domestic and overseas box-office. It has collected a mind-numbing ₹ 542 crore gross worldwide in just 5 days!
Pathaan hit another 100 crore+ day in its fifth day, as it registered ₹ 60.75 crore nett in India (Hindi – ₹ 58.50, all dubbed versions – ₹ 2.25 crore), taking the India gross to ₹ 70 crore. The overseas gross on day 5 is at ₹ 42 crore ($ 5.13 million), taking the total collection on its fourth day of release to ₹ 112 crore gross. In five days, Pathaan has recorded $ 25.42 million (₹ 207.2 crore) in the overseas territories alone!
Pathaan also crossed the 250 crore nett mark in India in just five days with ₹ 280 crore nett up on the board already! It is the fastest Hindi film to enter the ₹ 250 crore club in just 5 days! Pathaan is also the only Hindi film to register four 50 crore+ days and that too within just five days since its release. With this insane result, all films of YRF’s Spy Universe— Ek Tha Tiger (2012), Tiger Zinda Hai (2017), War (2019) and Pathaan are blockbusters!
Akshaye Widhani, CEO of Yash Raj Films, says, “At YRF, we are proud that Pathaan is entertaining people across the globe, pulling people to the theatres and giving them an experience of a lifetime! The YRF Spy Universe films have also registered blockbusters every single time. So, the stakes were high with Pathaan and we are thrilled to have delivered a film that has not only extended this feat of delivering hits but has also registered countless new records in the process. This is one for the ages for YRF and for the Indian film industry and we couldn’t be more humbled.”
Pathaan, is a part of Aditya Chopra’s ambitious spy universe and has Shah Rukh Khan, Deepika Padukone and John Abraham in it. A prominent crowd-puller is also Salman Khan in a powerful cameo as Tiger.
Here are the 17 new records set by YRF’s Pathaan after the 5-day extended weekend for Republic Day:
- Highest-grossing opening weekend in the History of Hindi Cinema.
- Only Hindi film to breach the ₹ 50 Cr NBOC (Nett box-office collection) barrier twice.
- Only Hindi film to breach the ₹ 60 Cr NBOC barrier twice.
- Only Hindi film to breach the ₹ 70 Cr NBOC barrier, set on Day 2.
- Only Hindi film to breach the ₹ 50 Cr NBOC barrier on a Non-Holiday.
- Fastest Hindi film to record ₹ 100 Cr NBOC.
- Fastest Hindi film to record ₹ 200 Cr NBOC.
- Fastest Hindi film to record ₹ 250 Cr NBOC.
- Widest Hindi Release of all-time in India.
- YRF is the only film studio in India to breach the ₹ 50 Cr NBOC Barrier with a Hindi film 6 times since 2018 (Thugs of Hindostan in 2018 was the first).
- Third YRF Spy Universe film to set an opening-day record after Ek Tha Tiger and War.
- Highest-grossing weekend for Shah Rukh Khan.
- Highest-grossing weekend for Deepika Padukone.
- Highest-grossing weekend for John Abraham.
- Highest-grossing weekend for Siddharth Anand.
- Highest-grossing weekend for Yash Raj Films.
- Highest-grossing weekend for the YRF Spy Universe.
- Highest-grossing weekend for Salman Khan, who did only a cameo but also started the YRF Spy Universe with two blockbusters.